History of Oak Grove Wesleyan
In 1917, Sunday School began in the old school house called Oak Grove.
This was located in a grove of oak trees unlike today,
pine trees line the property. This is almost across the road frour present church.
The road was called Stagecoach Road.
It was in front of the school. A stagecoach would stop at the Old Saddle
next to the school. The members continued to have services there until about
when the school burned. One night, the fire was banked so it wouldn't go
out. Some hot
coals rolled out and set it on fire. The younger children attended
school in the
'chicken coop' also called Bates School.
The older children needed to go to the
high school at Juniper Ridge
[now known as Perry Ridge]. Thus the church needed to
find a new place to hold services. Between 1921-23, the old church was built
on a corner lot
on Kimberly Road. Not far from our new church.
The church was hauled in sections from Circle Hill with teams of horses
wagons. They had purchased an old church and reassembled it to make the
Oak Grove church.They continued to haveservices there untill the new
church was built.
Our new church was built in 1975. In 2001, a new multipurpose
building was started. This project was completed in two years,
We have a nice place now to have our fellowship dinners. It is opened to area
residents to use
for weddings and parties.
The building gives us more room to expand our growing Sunday School classes.